Hey there, last weekend I ended up in an unexpected 3 days weekend in Koh Lipe and I loved it! Here is what you need to know about it…
How to get there?
Koh Lipe is a Thai island, located near Langkawi. It can be reached through different roads from Singapore. We personally took a flight from Singapore to Hat Yai (< $150), followed by a van to reach Pak Bara and finally a Speed Boat to Koh Lipe. Overall the trip lasted for 1.15h flight + 1:30h van + 1:30h speed boat = approximately 4 hours and 15 minutes (without counting being at the airport on time and the wait time before the van/boat). Fear not, that may seems a lot, but the flight from Singapore to Hat Yai is at 6am, making you arrive on time to enjoy lunch at the beach ! Better to go there for 3 days if you want to enjoy the island at its fullest ;-).
Note that you can also flight from Singapore to Langkawi and take a speed boat from there. It might look shorter, however, note that the flight might be more expensive and that you will have to pass immigration twice (both in Malaysia and Thailand) making you loose some time.
Where to sleep?
Koh Lipe is a tiny island. You can go from one side to the other within a 20min walk or a 5min touk-touk ride. It has 3 main beaches: Pataya beach (where the ferry/speed boat arrives), Sunset beach and Sunrise beach.
We personally preferred to stay on Sunrise beach as it is the widdest beach, offering a great choice of accomodation and food. Plus, you are also away from the ferry/speedboat arrival, which is a good thing if you want to be more chill.
We stayed at Gispy resort, which we booked through Booking.com to get the best last minute deal. Gipsy resort is located just by Sunrise beach. It offers rooms as low as $55/night for 2 pax depending on the dates of your stay. As we were 4, we booked the 2-floors family room and paid a total of $60/pax/2 nights. Overall, we were really happy about our stay as we were literraly 1-min away from the beach. We were also very close to the walking street, the main street of this island.
Where to eat?
Here is the list of the places we tried and liked during our stay ♥
Breakfast & Lunch
- Pee Pee Bakery: You have to go there to try their Coconut Buns, they are to die for !
- Castaway resort on Sunrise beach: A cool restaurant on the beach where you can lay down in the sand while enjoying your food. A bit pricier than the other options, but worth it for the location and charm of the place! Try the garlic shrimps, they are amazing.
- Sunrise Beach restaurant: A nice little restaurant on the beach, with authentic thai food and good prices. Try their grilled fish (mackerel) and their pineapple fried rice ;-).
- Mom Papaya restaurant: Nice Thai restaurant in the mid-way of the walking street. Friendly staff, quick service and good food !
- Nee papaya thaifood and BBQ: Located near Sunrise beach, slow service but good food. You have to try the steamed fished with lemon 🙂
What to do during the weekend ?
- Do a snorkelling tour around Koh Lipe: We booked our private boat for $60 for 5hours with Lipe corner tour service (you can find them on the walking street). They come and pick you up at the closest beach of your hotel and you spend 5 hours island hoping and snorkelling in clear blue water…
- Enjoy massages: A 1-hour massage is the same price everywhere on the island ($12 for a thai massage, $16 for a massage with aromathic oil). We personally loved the massage provided on Sunrise beach, just near Salisa resort. It’s in a little cabana on 2 floors (picture below).
- Have some drinks: We really enjoy to get some drinks and chill at the Maya Bar. Very cosy atmosphere and $8 cocktails !
- Walk along the walking street: there is plenty of little shops to discover, so just take your time and walk along the street to discover what it has to offer. I bought a cute little bag in one of the shop for $10 !
- Chill by the beach: I personally feel like Sunrise beach is the best beach to chill at. It is wide and you don’t feel like it’s crowded. It is also clean and very nearby the walking street.
And you, have you been to Koh Lipe? Do you want to go there? I certainly wish to go back there sooner than later 🙂
Special thanks to my girlfriends, without whom the weekend wouldn’t have been so great ♥